FB

Follow Me on Twitter: twitter.com/danboschert

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Have we no shame?

In line at Walmart today I patiently waited. As I waited I became more and more impatient, and increasingly angry. I was not angry because it was taking too long, or that I had someplace to be. The first thing that angered me was something we have all experienced. First a little backstory. I had shopped and selected the items that I needed, and proceeded to the proper checkout line labeled "20 items or less". During my checkout line selection process I carefully inspected the carts of the people in front of me to make sure there were no imposters with an amount of items that exceeded the allowable limit. After my recon I determined that lane 3 was a sufficient line, not only to ensure me a speedy checkout, but also filled with honest patrons with proper integrity and whom possess express lane etiquette. After the first shopper checked out quickly I got a little excited at the prospect of me being on deck, but I was being so very naive. What happened next was my worst nightmare. The shopper at the register was joined by another cart, with well over 20 items in it. Whaaaaaat? The couple had not only kinda cut me, but they were legally drunk on items, they were sitting at double the limit. I was steaming for a bit, but then I let it go, until I start to observe and count their items:

2 Digornio pizzas(one cheese and one chicken Parmesan)

1 box of corn dogs

2 boxes of egg rolls

Ect ect ect.

I look away when I realize I am staring in disdain, and see that Jennifer Anniston is pregnant again?!?!! I look back again after what seemed like an eternity, only to over hear that this particular family was using "EBT" aka food stamps, to pay for their purchase. There is only a few things I find wrong with that. Number 1: Why can you buy food that is terrible for you with food stamps?!? NĂºmero dos: Why are these people who need state assistance dressed better than I am? Why do they have expense brand named clothes and iphone 5's? I must have missed the memo. It irked me a little bit, not necessarily that specific incident, but it had me thinking about it as a whole. Why do we offer food stamps,Medicare, or any other state/federal assistance? It seems like a reward for lazy people. In the good ol' days, non contributors starved. Now they flourish. They have multiple kids that they can't take care of just to take advantage of the many forms of assistance that are available to them. The sad thing is, they drop their kids off with grandma and grandpa everyday at 7am anyway, and it's not to go to work. I'm just ccomplaing about things I can't change again, don't mind me. All I'm  saying is, if you can't afford food then you shouldn't be able to afford American eagle jeans and ambercrombie shirts. These sort of things just shine another bright light on how consumer driven our lives are. Sad. If you want more information about my views on consumerism, read some of my older blogs. 

Until next time my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment