FB

Follow Me on Twitter: twitter.com/danboschert

Friday, November 2, 2012

America: the land of the free , the home of the over medicated



As a child I was oft injured, as were my siblings. Wether it simple scrape of the elbow or blood running down our face, we rarely visited the local hospital. This was partly due to the fact that we couldn't afford to, other was in part to my father and the way he was raised. Sure there were the occasions in which duct tape couldn't seal the wound and we had to make that financially painful trip to the doctor,(Mostly on my accord) but not too often.

My father was a single dad for most of my life, and while he tried his best, sometimes compassion isn't high on the list. If you get a cold, have a cough drop and some soup. If you have a cut, use a towel to clean up the blood and daddy taped the cut up, then back to playtime. If you get a bruise toughen up. Back then maybe it seemed insensitive and downright uncleanly, but I am very grateful as an adult. My immune system is fantastic now. I get sick maybe once a year, my cuts heal quickly, and I am in great health. I am doing my best to raise my kids the same way.

In today's society there are medicines and remedies for everything from physical pain to mental issues. It seems like people automatically turn to pills when something is wrong. Sure there are some instances when medicine is needed, but come on people. Someone gets a scratch on their arm and they are at the doctor getting bandaged up and diagnosed with a "lateral laceration", they say it hurts and BAM, the doctor says "your Percocet is available for pickup at the Walmart pharmacy".

Today it's like no one has any tolerance for pain, mental or physical. If they are feeling sad, must be something wrong, get some pills. Oh my back hurts, get some pills. Now that everyone's bodies are so dependent on these drugs, their immune systems are worthless, which leads to more.......you guessed it, pills.

Suggestion from Mr. Know-it-all Dan:
Go out and play in the dirt. Go get a cut on your hand and don't put a bandaid on it. Introduce your body to some hard work or hard play and build up your immunities. Go outside and breathe in the fresh air. Live a little. After all that is over and you feel exhausted and maybe a little sick and sore, DON'T MEDICATE yourself. Give it a shot, it won't kill you.(But just in case it does I am not liable in any way, shape, or form).

I may be ranting, but who cares, I'm sick of hypochondriac people and the next generation of hypochondriacs they are raising.

I was a lucky person in my book to have been raised the way I was. It also helps that to this day I can't swallow pills.(Yes I know you're laughing but it's true). The only medicine I take is liquid Tylenol when I get migraines(which is pretty frequently since i prolly have a brain tumor), and the occasional NyQuil when I am deathly ill with my once a year cold. I'm not preaching though, if you are a pill popper than do your thing. Just don't come crying to me about all your medical issues, because I genuinely don't care, we can talk about football or something though.

Maybe I will sing a different tune when I get older and my body starts to deteriorate from all the stupid stuff I did as a kid, we will see. I know that my old man has been complaining of his knee hurting for about 10 years and finally went into the doc a couple months ago. Apparently his hip is completely gone and needing replaced. So instead of his body using his hip the way it should, all the pressure has been on his knee. He was very resistant but will get the surgery this December. It just reminds me of my childhood, and how I learned to be tough.....or stubborn.

Well I'm not sure what kind of points I have made, or if I am just poking fun at people. Either way it's been a good time. Until next time people, until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment